Wednesday 7 March 2012

Italian Holiday

Well, it's March. March always seems like a transition month - You're OH so close to spring, but still wearing your winter jacket, and red wine remains infinitely more appealing than a crisp rose. I think the Spring Break mentality is ingrained in all of us: There seems nothing more lovely than thinking about getting away for a week in March.. To a villa in Italy.

Given in I'm the midst of changing jobs, venturing off to Italy isn't in the cards for me. Instead, I've resolved to drink some Italian wines and try to get away from my regular (but so good) rotation of California/Portuguese reds, and Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc. 

I picked up an IGT red from the LCBO on my way home yesterday called Ripa Della Mandrole. I was seduced by the description, which read " The Vicchimaggio Castle has a long and storied history, including playing host to Leodardo di Vinci while he as painting the Mona Lisa." Granted, di Vinci was probably a rather poor man when he was painting the Mona Lisa, but I figured if the wine has that kind of history to back it, it must be good.

I must preface -- There are only certain times that I like Italian wines. I love a good barolo or barbaresco, but the typical chianti or sangiovese doesn't make it into my rotation. This wine was good: I could picture myself drinking it either in the sun in a villa in Italy with a plate full of antipasti, or out for dinner with friends paired with some veal, and being quite happy in my choice. It has some fruity notes on the nose (cherry) and some hints of cocoa and spice that give it depth, but it's balanced with the typical Italian acidity that screams food wine (perhaps I should drink wine with more food). I imagine it would only get more delicious in between bites of veal smothered in a tomato sauce: I would definitely pick this wine up (and it's only $14.00 right now!) for the next time you're planning on having some good friends over for a very typical Italian dinner. 

Xo
AK

No comments:

Post a Comment