Wednesday 7 March 2012

Getting Away

The best part of getting away is spending quality time with the people you love and creating memories together -- For me, these memories often have the common element of wine. I've had some lovely memories over the last few months: Sipping glorious white albarino at the John Dory Oyster Bar in NYC with one of my very best friends, opening a bottle of Pinot Gris poolside to kick off a Vegas weekend with four girlfriends, many bottles of bubbly on that same trip, and visiting a beautiful wine store tucked away in White Rock B.C. with my Mom and Sister.















I love independent wine stores. I know I've extolled the virtues of the Vintages section at the LCBO in the past, but there's something special about a privately owned store. The one in White Rock is called Swirl, and it predominately carries B.C wines. It's absolutely remarkable how many B.C wines they have -- Row after row of bottles are shelved proudly, and the staff is beyond enthusiastic to either point you in the direction of a wine you're looking for, or walk you through a tasting. On Fridays and Saturdays from 3-7, there's two local producers on display and you're welcome, no, encouraged, to enjoy a flight of wines without feeling an ounce of obligation to purchase. It's lovely. 

What are some of your favourite wine memories?

Xo
AK






No comments:

Post a Comment