Sunday 11 March 2012

Celebrations with Chardonnay

Happy Spring! I know it's not yet officially spring, but the weather in Toronto certainly seems to be in a huge, wonderful rush to declare a change in the seasons. The sun is strong, the temperature is warm, and the air just seems lighter. It's delightful.

I like to think that every day merits a celebration, but it's even more fun though when you actually have something to celebrate. A change in career for me, a new car for a friend, and a beautiful new haircut for another seemed like three great reasons to get together with two great friends and toast to happiness.

We started our evening with oysters, and moved back to my place where we made lovely lobster cobb salads. I picked up a most beautiful wine to pair with the salads, and my goodness, it did not disappoint. In short, I'm back on the California wine bandwagon in a big way. The culprit? A 2009 La Crema Chardonnay from the Sonoma Coast (Healdsburg, specifically). This is a big, rich, lush, velvety wine. I love the way that a great chardonnay feels in the mouth - It's juicy, acidic, round, and rich all at once, which comes from a production process called malolactic fermentation. This is the process that turns harsher malic acid into the rounder, more soft lactic acid, and lends texture to the wine.

I don't find this wine overly oaky - It exhibits notes of pineapple, honey, buttered toast, and cinnamon. It's just a beautiful wine. Refreshing acidity weaves it's way through the glass, begging you back for more. Pair with any crab/lobster dish: I ensure you'll have an evening worth celebrating. At $27.95, it's a beauty. 

Xo
AK 

1 comment: