Wednesday 30 November 2011

December 2nd: A Chardonnay to Love..

It snowed for the first time this season a few days ago in Toronto. One moment, the sky was clear and bright, and the next, my entire office was engulfed in a flurry of snowflakes. This would normally lead to me writing about a lovely, warm, comforting, big red wine that I’m currently loving, but alas, that is not the case!

What I want to share with you is a beautiful white wine that actually came to me through a wine course that I took this summer. I’ve been enjoying it ever since, and it’s a wine that gives me a lot of credibility when I serve it to guests. It just tastes elegant. The wine in question is a 2006 Chardonnay from the Mission Hill winery in BC.  I beg of you—if you are one of those people who can’t stand being even in the same room as a Chardonnay, hear me out. This one might change your perception. It’s not a California chardonnay—Don’t get me wrong, California makes some absolutely glorious chardonnays, but there’s a lot of very poorly made ones out there that are basically as enjoyable as licking the oak barrel that the wine fermented in. Well, maybe not that extreme, but you get my point.

This wine is so lovely and elegant. The nose itself is beautiful, but in truth, it just sets the stage for what’s to come. It has aromas of beautiful peach, florals, and a tad of toasty oak (all very well integrated), but it’s the texture of this wine that’s so wonderful. It’s almost full-bodied, and has a bit of a creamy palate to it. Basically, when you drink it, you feel the weight of the wine in your mouth, and when the wine is loaded with peach, it’s a beautiful thing.

This wine is priced at a very reasonable $19.99 at the LCBO (Ontario), but chances are this can be found across Canada.  I would certainly think about buying a few bottles of this wine and hanging on to them to pair with sautéed fish or some roasted chicken. Sometimes being hedonistic is just so easy....

Happy drinking,
AK

No comments:

Post a Comment