Monday 7 May 2012

Perfect BBQ Malbec

For some reason, when the weather gets warmer and the barbeque season becomes more imminent, I always tend to gravitate towards Malbecs for my red wine choice. They are usually inexpensive, delicious and prove to always be a perfect pairing for any barbequed fare. I was in the LCBO at the end of April and I stumbled across a new release in Vintages. It is a 2008 Los Haroldos Reserva di Familia Malbec from Argentina. I decided to pick one up as the price was right ($14.95) and it was also featured at the Summerhill LCBO location. Typically, I do not spend this (not breaking the bank here!) much on Malbec, but I decided to go for it..

I opened the bottle on Friday and I was pleasantly surprised at what I tasted. When I first poured the wine I was a bit shocked at the colour of the wine, it was an extremely dark plum/black colour and was darker then what I had expected. The wine itself was surprisingly complex with tastes of dark fruits (cherry, plum, black fruit) with a side of smokiness and vanilla. It had a long finish and silky, but rigid tannis. All in all this wine was absolutely delicious. I will definitely be going back to get some more of this new release for the upcoming barbeque season!! I would suggest that everyone does the same ... this wonderful and delicious Malbec is a definite crowd pleaser.

Happy Monday!

HM

No comments:

Post a Comment