Wednesday 14 March 2012

Tasty Trius

Earlier this week, in preparation for the Bachelor finale (which exceeded all my expectations); I picked up a bottle of the new Trius Red 2010 (I also love how it is just called Trius red). This wine has just come out and I was excited to try it, as I usually really enjoy Trius wines. Typically (I am sorry to say this) Canadian wines are not my favourite, and I do not tend to gravitate towards them. However, I try to make an exception for certain wineries or recommendations that I receive. I have had great luck with Trius whites, reds and I particularly love their sparkling wines (white and rose).

This red was no exception; it was a medium to full-bodied wine and had a great structure. The tannins were rich, and it came with all of the notes and flavours that you would except from the blend. The blend that was used this year was Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon. The nose emanated black fruits (particularly blackberry and black cherry), with a touch of dark chocolate (from merlot portion) and black currant. The mouth was a bit more cherry forward and you could definitely taste the oak on the palette. The wine itself had a medium finish, and I thought it was great on its own. I still have most of the bottle left and I can’t wait to try a bit more soon when it has a bit more of a chance to breathe.

The wine is currently selling for $21.75 for the rest of the March, and then it goes up to $22.75 after this point. I would definitely recommend this one, the price is right and it does help out our Canadian winemakers!

Happy Wednesday!
HM

1 comment: