Friday 10 February 2012

Another Portuguese Gem

Has anyone else felt like this week has most certainly been a 'full moon' week? Work-wise, everything seems just that much more frustrating. I walked into my place after a particularly weird Tuesday, and sure enough, as soon as my door shut, I saw the full moon rising ominously up from the lake. Go figure. Thankfully, life-wise, things seem to be (I'm hoping!) falling back into a very happy place.

I shall spare you any more of my gory (or boring) life details. To the wine:

My last post featured a lovely (if chilled people, if chilled!) $7.95 bottle of wine from Portugal. For fun, I purchased a bottle for comparison at the $14.95 price point, also from Portugal.

This wine-- It is lovely. It's one of those wines where you take a sip and wham, you immediately start to wonder why you don't drink more Portuguese wine/why you've been spending more money than your Mint iPad app allows you to on Californian wines/how to immediately acquire another bottle (slash case!) of this wine. Maybe my basis of comparison was unfair with the cheaper bottle, but my gosh. This wine. It is good. I implore you all to search through the Vintages section for some Portuguese finds.

The wine in question is a 2008 Monte Das Servas Colheita Seleccionada, produced under the sunny skies of Southern Portugal by Herdade das Servas. It is a gem. Only 300 cases of this wine came to Canada, so make use of the Vintages "product search" and grab some while you can. The aromas are abundant: Prune, chocolate, and black cherry, with some little hints of anise that come through as the wine rests. It's really lovely and complex: You won't get tired of the wine as it continues to evolve in the glass. I would pair this with a charcuterie/cheese plate, or something a touch gamey like a lovely duck shepherd's pie.

Have a great weekend everyone.

XO
AK

No comments:

Post a Comment